WSU beats Aggies for first win in Logan 23 years
Courtesy: Paul Grua - Weber State Athletic Communications  
Release: Saturday 12/21/2016

LOGAN - Weber State did something it hadn’t done in 23 years Wednesday night as the Wildcats picked up a 77-71 win over Utah State Wednesday night at the Smith Spectrum. It was Weber State’s first win in Logan since December 1993.

The win is the third-straight for the Wildcats who improve to 5-6 on the season after the final non-conference game of the year.

“I’m so proud of our kids tonight,” said WSU head coach Randy Rahe. “They showed great toughness, togetherness and resiliency. It’s always a tough test up here and they really stayed together. They stayed calm and poised and did what they needed to go get the win.”

The game had 18 lead changes and was tied 13 times. The Wildcats led 37-36 at halftime and no team led by more than four points in the first half.

Weber State started the second half on a 14-6 run and took a seven point lead with 14:22 to play. Utah State rallied back with a 9-2 run of its own to tie the game at 52-52, before a Senglin 3-pointer broke the tie.

The Wildcats did not score for more than four minutes during a stretch midway through the half and Utah State took its first lead at 60-58 with 6:02 to play.

After Senglin picked up his fourth foul with 8:37 to play, freshman Jerrick Harding scored six straight points for the Wildcats to give WSU a 61-60 lead with 4:59 to play.

The ‘Cats led by one with 2:08 to play when Ryan Richardson knocked down a 3-pointer and was fouled. He made the free throw for the four-point play that gave WSU a four-point lead and the ‘Cats made four free throws in the final two minutes to seal the win.

The Wildcats shot 52 percent from the field with USU shooting 48 percent. WSU also knocked down nine 3-pointers.

Senglin led the Wildcats with 22 points with three 3-pointers and had four rebounds before fouling out. He also moved past Jimmie Watts and Willie Sojourner into fifth place on the Weber State career scoring list.

Harding had a career-high 14 points and also knocked down three 3-pointers. Kyndahl Hill had 11 points and eight rebounds and Richardson added 10 points with three 3-pointers.

The win snapped a 10-game losing streak for the ‘Cats in Logan as they picked up their first win in Logan since an 87-86 win in December 1993 on Jimmy DeGraffenried’s famous buzzer-beater.

Wednesday’s game was the final non-conference game of the year. The Wildcats will start Big Sky Conference play next week playing at Montana State on Thursday, Dec. 29 and at Montana on Saturday, Dec. 31.

Weber State Men's Basketball

  • WildcatTV
Big Sky TV

  • Stay Connected