PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Weber State women's tennis team dropped a tough decision on Sunday, coming up just short of Portland State in a 4-3 loss at Club Green Meadows.
Kristi Elmer and Agata Bachanek defeated Dane Vorster and Megan Govi 8-5 in the No. 1 doubles match, but the Vikings took matches 2 and 3 to score the doubles point. That point would prove to be pivotal as the two teams split the six singles matches.
Portland State extended to a 3-0 lead with wins in the No. 3 and 5 singles matches, but Weber State put up the next two points to cut the lead to one. Bachanek defeated Vorster 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 1 match, and Elmer took down Marina Todd 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 in the No. 2 match to give the pair wins in both singles and doubles on the day.
The Wildcats needed wins in both remaining matches to grab the victory, but Portland State did not allow the decision to come down to the final match, ending the comeback with a three-set win in the No. 4 match.
Annika Karlsen added WSU's final point with a 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 win over Ayaka Terakawa in the No. 6 match.
Weber State fell to 8-14 overall on the season and 2-7 in Big Sky play. Portland State moved 7-6 on the season and 4-3 in conference play.
Weber State vs Portland State
Apr 13, 2014 at Vancouver, Wash.
(Club Green Meadows)
Portland State 4, Weber State 3
1. BACHANEK, Agata (WSU) def. VORSTER, Dane (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. ELMER, Kristi (WSU) def. TODD, Marina (PSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
3. PREDA, Sabina-Elena (PSU) def. TANNER, Ashley (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. GOVI, Megan (PSU) def. KURER, Thais (WSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. MCDONALD, Alexa (PSU) def. WARWICK, Michelle (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. KARLSEN, Annika (WSU) def. TERAKAWA, Ayaka (PSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
1. ELMER, Kristi/BACHANEK, Agata (WSU) def. VORSTER, Dane/GOVI, Megan (PSU) 8-5
2. TODD, Marina/PREDA, Sabina-Elena (PSU) def. KURER, Thais/KARLSEN, Annika (WSU) 8-2
3. MCDONALD, Alexa/TERAKAWA, Ayaka (PSU) def. WARWICK, Michelle/TANNER, Ashley (WSU) 8-6
Weber State 8-14, 2-7 BSC
Portland State 7-6, 4-3 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,1,2,4,6)