GRAND FORKS, ND -- The Weber State women's tennis team dropped its second-straight match on Friday with a 6-1 loss to North Dakota. The match opened up the Big Sky season for the Wildcats.
Weber State won the doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and 2 spots in the lineup. Agata Bachanek and Kristi Elmer defeated Stephanie Petsis and Stephanie Biehn 8-7 (7-4) in a tiebreaker at No. 1 to even the doubles competition at 1-1 after UND won at No. 3. Nittaya Phonharath and Thais Kurer clinched the point for WSU with an 8-7 (8-6) tiebreak win over Callie Ronkowski and Faith Lee at No. 2.
The Wildcats could not carry the momentum over to singles and North Dakota won straight-set matches in the No. 3, 6, 5 and 2 spots to clinch the overall win.
North Dakota finished off the singles sweep with three-set wins at No. 1 and 4.
Weber State fell to 2-3 on the season with the loss.
1. PETSIS, Stephanie (UND) def. BACHANEK, Agata (WSU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
2. RONKOWSKI, Callie (UND) def. ELMER, Kristi (WSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
3. SPRINKEL, Lacey (UND) def. TANNER, Ashley (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. BIEHN, Stephanie (UND) def. KURER, Thais (WSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. LEE, Faith (UND) def. PHONHARATH, Nittaya (WSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. BENNETT, Mikaela (UND) def. KARLSEN, Annika (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. BACHANEK, Agata/ELMER, Kristi (WSU) def. PETSIS, Stephanie/BIEHN, Stephanie (UND) 8-7 (7-4)
2. PHONHARATH, Nittaya/KURER, Thais (WSU) def. RONKOWSKI, Callie/LEE, Faith (UND) 8-7 (8-6)
3. BENNETT, Mikaela/SPRINKEL, Lacey (UND) def. WARWICK, Michelle/TANNER, Ashley (WSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,5,2,4,1)