GRAND FORKS, No. Dakota -- The Weber State men's tennis team kicked off the 2014 Big Sky Conference season with a nice performance on Friday, as the Wildcats rolled to a 7-0 sweep of North Dakota.
Weber State took two of the three doubles matches to begin the day and earn the first point of the match. Caio Poitena and Landon Barlow defeated Dustin Britton and David Bergstrom 8-3 at No. 3 to set up the point, which was clinched by Oliver Good and Sanjay Goswami at No. 1 with an 8-5 win over Josh Oothoudt and Grant Bakke.
In singles play, the Wildcats finished off the match by winning all six matches, five of which came in straight sets. Todd Fought defeated Connor Oberle 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 1 match to make the score 2-0 for WSU, and James Smith soon followed with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Bergstrom at No. 6 to put the Wildcats within a point of clinching the win.
Barlow would earn the clinching point with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Oothoudt at No. 3.
Goswami downed Bakke 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 5 match, Poitena defeated Dustin Britton 7-5, 7-5 at No. 4, and Good got past Ryan McGuigan in three sets 7-6 (12-10), 0-6, 1-0 (11-9) at No. 2 to finish off the sweep.
Weber State improved to 3-5 on the year as they won their second-straight match.
1. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) def. OBERLE, Connor (UND) 6-3, 6-3
2. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) def. McGUIGAN, Ryan (UND) 7-6 (12-10), 0-6, 11-9
3. BARLOW, Landon (WSU) def. OOTHOUDT, Josh (UND) 7-5, 6-4
4. POITENA, Caio (WSU) def. BRITTON, Dustin (UND) 7-5, 7-5
5. GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. BAKKE, Grant (UND) 7-5, 6-3
6. SMITH, James (WSU) def. BERGSTROM, David (UND) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: Singles (1,6,3,5,4,2)
1. GOOD, Oliver/GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. OOTHOUDT, Josh/BAKKE, Grant (UND) 8-5
2. OBERLE, Connor/McGUIGAN, Ryan (UND) def. SMITH, James/FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. POITENA, Caio/BARLOW, Landon (WSU) def. BRITTON, Dustin/BERGSTROM, David (UND) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2)