NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah -- Freshman Jakub Gewert pulled off a 6-4 win over Brandon Lupo in the third set of the No. 1 singles match to give Weber State a 4-3 win over Northern Colorado on Sunday at the Eagle Ridge Tennis Club.
"This was a great performance for us today," said WSU head coach Brad Ferreira. "Northern Colorado had to win this match to qualify for the conference tournament, and they would not give up. We showed a lot of fight and determination in a very competitive situation."
Tied at 3-3, the match came down to that final set after Gewert and Lupo split the first two sets 6-2, 3-6.
The match opened with the Wildcats taking the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and 3 matches. Todd Fought and Sanjay Goswami defeated Eric Schuermans and Mitchel Knight 8-5 at No. 2, while Anthony Trabert and Ryan Garner took down Jordan Loughnan and Jeff Carlson 8-4 in the No. 3 match.
Oliver Good made the score 2-0 for Weber State with a quick 6-2, 6-1 win over Knight in the No. 3 singles match, but the Bears came back with wins at No. 2 and 4 to even the match.
"Ollie gave us another solid performance in singles," said Ferreira. "He has been playing incredibly confident tennis lately."
Northern Colorado took a brief lead with a win at No. 6 singles, but Goswami knotted the contest again with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Schuermans at No. 5, sending the fate of the match into the hands of Gewert.
"Jakub was the hero of the match today," said Ferreira. "He took the match in his hands in a thrid set against a senior who has been playing very good tennis, and he pulled it out for us."
The Wildcats moved to 8-11 overall and 3-4 in the conference, while Northern Colorado dropped to 12-7 overall and 4-6 in league play.
Weber State 4, Northern Colorado 3
Apr 14, 2013 at North Salt Lake, UT (Eagle Ridge Tennis Club)
1. GEWERT, Jakub (WSU) def. LUPO, Brandon (NC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2. GENDRON, Ben (NC) def. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) def. KNIGHT, Mitchel (NC) 6-2, 6-1
4. CARLSON, Jeff (NC) def. POITENA, Caio (WSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. SCHUERMANS, Eric (NC) 6-2, 7-6
6. MOYA, Michael (NC) def. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) 6-4, 7-6
1. LUPO, Brandon/GENDRON, Ben (NC) def. GOOD, Oliver/POITENA, Caio (WSU) 8-7
2. FOUGHT, Todd/GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. SCHUERMANS, Eric/KNIGHT, Mitchel (NC) 8-5
3. TRABERT, Anthony/GARNER, Ryan (WSU) def. LOUGHNAN, Jordan/CARLSON, Jeff (NC) 8-4
Northern Colorado 12-7; 4-6 BSC
Weber State 8-11; 3-4 BSC