BOISE, Idaho -- The Weber State men's tennis team jumped out to an early lead against Gonzaga on Sunday, winning all three doubles matches, but the tables were turned in singles play, with the 'Zags winning five matches for a 5-2 win.
Jakub Gewert and Todd Fought handily defeated Pablo Mosquera Perez and Alvaro Nazal 8-2 in the No. 2 match to get things going for Weber State. Ryan Garner and Anthony Trabert followed with an 8-5 win over Hayden Smith and Vicente Varas at No. 3, and Oliver Good and Caio Poitena finished off the doubles sweep with a tight 8-7 win over Olivier Jamin and Vladimir Mijatovic in the No. 1 match.
In singles, the Wildcats dropped a trio of three set matches, and only Garner was able to win a point for WSU. Garner took down Mijatovic 6-3, 7-6 in the No. 5 match for the team's second, and final, point of the day.
Weber State drops to 4-7 overall with the loss.
Gonzaga 5, Weber State 2
Mar 03, 2013 at Boise, ID
1. Alvaro Nazal (GU) def. GEWERT, Jakub (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Olivier Jamin (GU) def. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Levin Guillermo (GU) def. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
4. Hayden Smith (GU) def. POITENA, Caio (WSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) def. Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Vicente Varas (GU) def. RODE, Ben (WSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. GOOD, Oliver/POITENA, Caio (WSU) def. Olivier Jamin/Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 8-7
2. GEWERT, Jakub/FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) def. Pablo Mosquera Perez/Alvaro Nazal (GU) 8-2
3. GARNER, Ryan/TRABERT, Anthony (WSU) def. Hayden Smith/Vicente Varas (GU) 8-5
Weber State 4-7