OGDEN, Utah -- The Weber State men's tennis team, playing its second match in as many days, suffered a 6-1 loss to Santa Clara on Thursday at the Ogden Athletic Club.
The Broncos, ranked 36th in the nation, took the doubles point for a 1-0 lead after winning the No. 1 and 2 doubles matches. The Wildcats won at No. 3 doubles, as Anthony Trabert and Ryan Garner took an 8-5 win over Eugene Muchynski and Tomasz Soltyka.
In singles, Sanjay Goswami earned the lone point for the Wildcats on the day, pulling out a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win over Soltyka in the No. 5 match.
Garner also went to a third set, but dropped a 6-3 final set to lose to Muchynski.
"Ryan and Anthony played a great doubles match for us today," said WSU head coach Brad Ferreira. "Sanjay was the man of the match with a fantastic performance against a solid opponent. I was also pleased with the performances of Todd (Fought), Jakob (Gewert), and Ryan (Garner) in singles. They each fought hard against some very good competition."
Santa Clara 6, Weber State 1
Feb 07, 2013 at Ogden, UT (Ogden Athletic Club)
1. Ilya Osintsev (SCU) def. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Matt Kecki (SCU) def. GEWERT, Jakub (WSU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Tom Pham (SCU) def. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. POITENA, Caio (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) def. Tomasz Soltyka (SCU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Eugene Muchynski (SCU) def. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
1. Ilya Osintsev/Matt Kecki (SCU) def. GOSWAMI, Sanjay/FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 8-3
2. Tom Pham/Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. GOOD, Oliver/POITENA, Caio (WSU) 8-3
3. TRABERT, Anthony/GARNER, Ryan (WSU) def. Eugene Muchynski/Tomasz Soltyka (SCU) 8-5
Santa Clara 5-2
Weber State 1-4