LOGAN, Utah -- Utah State took the doubles point and managed a split in singles to hold off the Weber State men's tennis team on Wednesday for a 4-3 win, dropping the Wildcats to 1-3 on the season.
Each of the three doubles matches were extremely close. The Aggies pulled out an 8-6 win at No. 1 and an 8-7 win at No. 3 to secure the point. Weber State fought their way to a win at No. 2, as Oliver Good and Caio Poitena downed Fredrick Peterson and Sean Lovesque 8-7.
Ryan Garner got the Wildcats even at a point apiece with a quick 6-1, 6-1 win over Andrew Whiting in the No. 6 singles match. Jakub Gewert gave WSU another point with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Marcus Fritz in the No. 3 match, but after USU took straight-sets wins at No. 1 and No. 4, the match came down to a pair of three-setters, and the Wildcats needed both for the win.
Poitena gave Weber State one of the two with a 7-6, 0-6, 6-3 win over Curran Wearmouth in the No. 5 match, but Peterson saved the Aggies with a 7-6, 3-6, 7-6 battle with Good at No. 2.
"The doubles point came down to the wire today," said WSU head coach Brad Ferreira. "We were really unlucky not to pull it out, and that ended up being a key point. We got very good performances today from Jakub, Ryan, and Caio, and Oliver played an incredible match for us. He very nearly won the match for us, but just came up short."
Utah State 4, Weber State 3
1. Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Todd Fought (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Fredrik Peterson (USU) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-6, 3-6, 7-6
3. Jakub Gewert (WSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Sanjay Goswami (WSU) 7-6. 6-1
5. Caio Poitena (WSU) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 7-6, 0-6, 6-36. Ryan Garner (WSU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Poslusny/Fritz (USU) def. Goswami/Fought (WSU) 8-6
2. Good/Poitena (WSU) def. Lovesque/Peterson (USU) 8-7
3. Sweet/Whitting (USU) def. Garner/Trabert (WSU) 8-7