Wildcats fall 68-67 to Spartans in overtime
Courtesy: Weber State  
Release: Friday 11/15/2012
Courtesy: Weber State
View larger
Davion Berry led the Wildcats with 21 points in Thursday's loss.

Related Links
    Box Score

The Weber State men's basketball team lost for the first time this season, falling 68-67 in overtime at San Jose State Thursday night.

Weber State held a 16-15 lead halfway through the first half.  After a Frank Otis layup tied the game at 27 with under 3:00 to play the Spartans closed the half on an 8-0 run to lead 35-27 at the break.

San Jose State started the second half on a 6-0 run and led by as many as 14 points early in the half.  The Wildcats kept fighting back.  With the Spartans leading by seven at 55-48 with 5:00 to play Weber State went on an 11-2 run to take a 59-57 lead with under 2:00 to play. The Wildcats outscored the Spartans 34-26 in the second half to tie the game and force overtime. 

With the Spartans leading 64-63 with under 2:00 to play in overtime San Jose State's Chris Cunningham was charged with a flagrant foul on WSU's Joel Bolomboy who made both free throws and then Davion Berry added a layup to give the Wildcats a three-point lead at 67-64.  From there San Jose State's D.J. Brown made four straight free throws and Berry missed a jumper at the buzzer to give the Spartans the victory.

Weber State shot 39 percent from the field with the Spartans shooting 43 percent.  The Wildcats committed 16 turnovers but did outrebound San Jose State 39-34. 

Berry led the Wildcats with a career-high 21 points in just his second game at Weber State.   The junior from Oakland finished the game 8-17 from the field and had three rebounds and three assists.  Senior Scott Bamforth added 11 points on 3-10 shooting and Gelaun Wheelwright added 10 points.  Bolomboy, the freshman from Fort Worth, Texas, finished with five points and 11 rebounds.  He has posted double figures in rebounds in his first two collegiate games. 

"We put ourselves in a really good position to win we just couldn't quite finish it," said WSU head coach Randy Rahe.  "I think in a lot of ways we grew as a basketball team.  We found some toughness and fought extremely hard in the second half to give ourselves a chance.  We missed a lot of good looks and it's tough to lose but we can learn a lot from a game like this." 

It marked the second-straight year the two teams went to overtime after WSU won a 91-89 double-overtime thriller last season in Ogden. 

The Wildcats will now have more than a week off until their next game which will be Saturday, Nov. 24 when they take on in-state rival Utah State in Logan. 

Weber State Men's Basketball

  • WildcatTV
Big Sky TV

  • Stay Connected