Weber State men’s tennis team took on Idaho State Tuesday afternoon with the hopes of snagging a victory and becoming one step closer to clinching a spot in the Big Sky tournament but fell just short in a narrow 4-3 loss to the Bengals.
Weber State started the match off strong by claiming the doubles point. Stefan Cooper and Shao-Po Yin started things off with a quick 6-2 win over Sebastian Edin and Bjorn Scheepbouwer in the No. 1 spot. Cezary Walkusz and Hou-En Chen followed in suit by taking down Josh Goodwin and Keegan Sullivan 7-6 (2-0) in the No. 3 spot. With two WSU wins in doubles play and the point clinched the No. 2 doubles spot went unfinished.
In singles play, WSU started off with a loss in the No. 2 spot. Making the overall match score 1-1. Yin was the first Wildcat to come up victorious as he took down Edin 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 1 spot giving WSU the 2-1 overall lead.
Kris van Wyk followed Yin’s match with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Goodwin in the No. 3 spot pushing Weber State’s lead to 3-1. All WSU needed was one more singles victory to clinch the overall match.
Idaho State claimed wins in the No. 4 and No. 6 spots tying things up at 3-3 overall. The match came down to the No. 5 spot. Michiel Van Schoor picked up a 6-3 win in the first set over Scheepbouwer in the No. 5 spot. Van Schoor struggled in the second set win 7-6 (3-0). Things came down to the third set where Van Schoor fought hard but ultimately fell 3-6.
“With the match tied at 3-3 Michiel fought really well despite cramping in his legs,” said Director of Tennis Brad Ferreira. “Hats off to Idaho state who fought hard all the way through.”
Weber State is now 7-11 overall on the season and 4-5 in Big Sky Conference play. The Wildcats hit the road for the final matches of the regular season to Montana and Montana State this weekend.
Idaho State 4, Weber State 3
1. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) def. EDIN,Sebastian (ISU) 6-4, 6-2
2. WACQUEZ,Quentin (ISU) def. COOPER, Stefan (WSU) 6-4, 4-3
3. VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) def. GOODWIN,Josh (ISU) 7-5, 6-3
4. FILIPOVICH,Francis (ISU) def. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
5. SCHEEPBOUWER,Bjorn (ISU) def. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 3-6, 7-6 (3-0), 6-3
6. SULLIVAN,Keegan (ISU) def. WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) 6-0, 7-5
1. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack)/COOPER, Stefan (WSU) def. EDIN,Sebastian/SCHEEPBOUWER,Bjorn (ISU) 6-2
2. WACQUEZ,Quentin/FILIPOVICH,Francis (ISU) vs. VAN WYK, Kris/VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 6-5, unfinished
3. WALKUSZ, Cezary/CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) def. GOODWIN,Josh/SULLIVAN,Keegan (ISU) 7-6 (2-0)
Weber State 7-11, 4-5 BSC Idaho State 12-8, 7-4 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)