Weber State men’s tennis team fell 4-3 to Sacramento State Saturday afternoon.
“It’s always difficult to play at different altitudes,” said Director of Tennis, Brad Ferreira. “Sacramento State is a good team and played very well. We did not adjust well enough. We’re looking forward to moving on and taking on Idaho State on Tuesday.”
Weber State started the match off strong by claiming the doubles point. Sac State first picked up a win in the No. 2 spot but Shao-Po Yin and Stefan Cooper defeated Mikus Losbergs and Kasparas Zemaitlis 6-3 in the No. 1 spot to even things up.
In singles play, the Hornets came up with three consecutive wins in the No. 5, No. 6 and No. 1 spots. The match was kept alive with Chen’s 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 victory over Louis Chabut in the No. 4 spot. Sac State then up with a win in the No. 3 spot before Cooper claimed his 7-5, 7-6 (9-7) victory in the No. 2 spot over Miller.
Weber State is now 7-10 overall on the season and 4-4 in Big Sky Conference play. The Wildcats will travel to Pocatello, Idaho to take on the Bengals of Idaho State on Tuesday, April 18. The final regular season matches of the season will follow April 22-23 at Montana and Montana State.
Sacramento State 4, Weber State 3
1. LOSBERGS, Mikus (SAC) def. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
2. COOPER, Stefan (WSU) def. MILLER, Dom (SAC) 7-5, 7-6 (9-7)
3. ZEMAITELIS, Kasparas (SAC) def. VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
4. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) def. CHABUT, Louis (SAC) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
5. CLAYTON, Christopher (SAC) def. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. LEGASPI, Hermont (SAC) def. WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack)/COOPER, Stefan (WSU) def. LOSBERGS, Mikus/ZEMAITELIS, Kasparas (SAC) 6-3
2. HALL, Donald/CHABUT, Louis (SAC) def. VAN WYK, Kris/VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 6-2
3. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie)/WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) def. CLAYTON, Christopher/MILLER, Dom (SAC) 7-5
Match Notes: Weber State 7-10; 4-4 conf
Sacramento State 12-11; 8-3 conf
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)