LOGAN, Utah - Weber State men’s tennis team took on in-state rival Utah State Friday morning and fell 5-2 overall.
Weber State started the match dropping the doubles point. The Aggies claimed 6-2 wins in both the No. 1 and No. 2 spots while the No. 3 spot went unfinished.
In the singles competition only two Wildcats picked up wins. In the No. 1 spot, Shao-Po Yin defeated Jaime Barajas 6-4 in the first set and fell 6-2 in the second set. Yin was down 7-5 in the tiebreaker but came back and won 10-8 for the match win.
In the No. 3 spot Kris van Wyk defeated Jack Swindells in the first set with a score of 6-3 but fell 6-7 (7-9) in the second set. With van Wyk’s match the last to finish on the day, he came out of the tiebreaker set with a 10-3 victory.
“I thought we gave the doubles point away today,” said Director of Tennis Brad Ferreira. “Jack played a great match but Kris deserves man of the match for winning against a very good player while having a twisted ankle and a pulled stomach muscle. We are also improving at the lower spots which is very encouraging.”
Weber State is now 7-9 overall on the season and will next travel to Sacramento State to continue Big Sky Conference play.
#39 Utah State 5, Weber State 2
1. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) def. Jaime Barajas (USU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
2. Kai Wehnelt (USU) def. COOPER, Stefan (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) def. Jack Swindells (USU) 6-3, 6-7 (7-9), 10-3
4. Sergiu Bucur (USU) def. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jonas Maier (USU) def. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Daniel Echeverry (USU) def. WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jonas Maier/Jack Swindells (USU) def. COOPER, Stefan/YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) 6-2
2. Jaime Barajas/Andrew Nakajima (USU) def. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel/VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) 6-2
3. Kai Wehnelt/Sergiu Bucur (USU) vs. WALKUSZ, Cezary/CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) 5-4, unfinished
Weber State 7-9, 4-3 Big Sky
Utah State 16-7, 2-0 MW; National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,5,4,6,1,3)