LAS VEGAS - Weber State men's tennis team split a pair of games in the opening round of the UNLV Invite Friday afternoon.
First Weber State defeated Youngstown State with a 4-1 score handing YSU their first loss of the season.
Weber State started the day claiming the doubles the point. The No. 2 spot Kris van Wyk and Michiel Van Schoor defeated Matthew Kritzinger Joao Garetto 6-2. The Wildcats followed that win up with a win in the No. 3 spot by Hou-En Chen and Cezary Walkusz. Chen and Walkusz defeated Gabriel Tolesani and Pol Virgili Blanco 6-3.
With the doubles point decided the No. 1 spot, who was tied at 5-5 went into a tie breaker where Youngstown state picked up a 6-5 win.
In singles play against Youngstown, Weber State picked up a nice win in the No. 3 spot by van Wyk who defeated Thomas Rodrigues 6-2, 6-2.
That win was followed up by Van Schoor in the No. 6 spot with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Luke Purser. With a Penguins win in the No. 1 spot the overall match score was sitting at 3-1.
Chen came up with the final WSU victory in the No. 4 spot by defeating Goretto 5-1, 7-5. Giving Weber State the 4-1 overal victory.
In the second match of the day Weber State took on tournament host UNLV and fell just short of a second victory with a 4-2 score.
The doubles competition against UNLV started off with a Wildcat victory in the No. 2 spot by van Wyk and Van Schoor. The duo defeated Ruben Alberts and Courtney Lock 6-3. The No. 1 doubles spot went to UNLV. The doubles point came down to the No. 3 spot which was claimed by the Rebels with a 7-5 score.
Singles play didn't start out strong for WSU as UNLV claimed its first singles win in the No. 5 spot. But, Weber State picked up two more back to back wins with victories in the No. 3 spot by van Wyk. and No. 4 spot by Chen.
Van Wyk defeated Evaldo Neto 6-2, 7-6(5) while Chen took his match into three sets with scores of 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
The Wildcats fell in spots No. 6 and No. 1 to give UNLV the 4-2 win.
Weber State is now 2-3 overall on the season and will continue play in Las Vegas tomorrow by taking on UC Riverside.
Weber State 4, Youngstown State 1
1. Maroscher, Mitch (YSU) def. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. COOPER, Stefan (WSU) vs. Kritzinger, Matthew (YSU) 3-6, 6-1, 1-2, unfinished
3. VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) def. Rodrigues, Thomas (YSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) def. Garretto, Joao (YSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) vs. Tolesani, Gabriel (YSU) 6-4, 0-4, unfinished
6. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) def. Purser, Luke (YSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Maroscher, Mitch/Rodrigues, Thomas (YSU) def. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack)/COOPER, Stefan (WSU) 6-5
2. VAN WYK, Kris/VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) def. Kritzinger, Matthew/Garretto, Joao (YSU) 6-2
3. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie)/WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) def. Tolesani, Gabriel/Blanco, Pol Virgili (YSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1)
UNLV 4, Weber State 2
1. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) def. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack) (WSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Ruben Alberts (UNLV) vs. COOPER, Stefan (WSU) 7-6(1), 5-7, 2-1, unfinished
3. VAN WYK, Kris (WSU) def. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) 6-2, 7-6(5)
4. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie) (WSU) def. Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
5. Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Courtney Lock (UNLV) def. VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) 7-5, 6-3
1. Jakob Amilon/Evaldo Neto (UNLV) def. YIN, Shao-Po (Jack)/COOPER, Stefan (WSU) 6-4
2. VAN WYK, Kris/VAN SCHOOR, Michiel (WSU) def. Ruben Alberts/Courtney Lock (UNLV) 6-3
3. Adam Gage-Brown/Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. CHEN, Hou-En (Eddie)/WALKUSZ, Cezary (WSU) 7-5